Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Sol Invictus

The ancient sun god looks a lot like the statue of liberty. His visage was on a lot of the roman coinage. I think the use of the native american head dress is a reference to that- Invisible and invincible Saturn
was an agricultural deity who was said to have reigned over the world in the Golden Age, when humans enjoyed the spontaneous bounty of the earth without labor in a state of social egalitarianism.
When I was a kid I wanted to grow up to become an "Indian". In my early twenties I believed in the myth of the noble savage. A time when humans lived in step with the "natural" world. Catastrophe lore hints at cataclysmic events -exploding planets glowing for weeks on end some supra novella. Lighting the night. Deepest hole.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
St. Augustine, Florida, United States
I spill ink ,it collects here.