Friday, February 05, 2010

Laud



I went to see a really expensive 3-d movie with my son last night, as he surmised, it was" a movie of blue hippies with a subject of science and war" . There was considerable effort in building an exotic extraterrestrial environment in computer generated precision. As I lay writing sleeplessly in the we hours I am made to recall memories of places that evoke a sense of sublime strangeness. Surprisingly I am thinking of Torrance california, a suburb of L.A. and the community college on the edge of the Exxon refinery. My first semester there I took a mix of art histories and studio classes. In my history class I befriended a tall fare haired guy morning the death of his parrot with a daily monty python marathon. Then there was the Iranian guy who told stories of his uncle, suggesting the man was a real live magical hermit back in the middle east. The lectures in my Asian art class were a favorite. I would love to run through those old lectures of slides, lights out, cold air conditioned room full of strangers, gilded buddhas floating 20 ft tall. One of the studio classes required a trip to the Getty Museum, which at that time was located in an Italian villa up in Malibu beach. I had decided to buddy up with this girl. I went to pick her up at her house and ended up meeting the whole family. There were 5 girls ranging in age from 18 to 30 all fare leggy californian blondes. I remember chuckling to myself in sensory overload.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
St. Augustine, Florida, United States
I spill ink ,it collects here.