Wednesday, January 14, 2009

GreatWhiteBoulder

One morning my son and I were taking a short cut around the light at the foot of the Vilano bridge. This short - cut passes right in front of the Fountain of Youth. It’s a beautiful road with a stunning old growth oak canopy, draped with curtains of Spanish moss. The experience is somewhere between a cathedral and a vaudeville theatre. At one point you can see the white dome of the little make-shift planetarium peeking over the perimeter wall. When my son grew conspicuously quite upon passing the gleaming white, lumpy mass I asked if he was O.K. . At first he couldn't articulate what was going on in his head, but I could see some consternation in his face and the dome was clearly the center of his attention. After some reassurance of his safety, he began to recall an episode of Thomas the train in which a giant boulder chases Thomas across Mordor or…rather Sodor. I tried to convince him that it was not a giant boulder that would crush his tiny toddler bones along with our Swedish sedan, but it took a few trips down that rd. before he wouldn’t trace that giant white bulge just over the wall with his little coal black eyes as we went past. Those Thomas the trains videos are no joke, some serious archetypical joojoo goin down there.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
St. Augustine, Florida, United States
I spill ink ,it collects here.